Art by Committee...Bright Eyes

Another fun entry for the monthly art jam on the James Gurney Art Blog!

“He is shorter than I remember, and thin. His fur is grayed to white in a fringe around his head, just below his ears. His coat is dull, thinning, and coarse. His eyes, so bright I…”


Click it to Biggify!

And, Hey! Some cool words from the man himself:

Hi, Mark,
Thanks for doing ABC this month. Your solution is fantastic, and goes to the head of the pack. He looks to me like an old college professor, someone who has spent his career trying to explain obscure theories to students who aren't necessarily listening. His eyes are often tired from reading and he has to keep his glasses in a little alligator skin bag because they won't fit in his pocket. And he's secretly proud of his eyebrows.

I love the way you made the eyes slightly non symmetrical. I've been noticing that more and more in real people, and I'm beginning to think it was the key to Sargent's likenesses.

All the best, and thanks again.

Jim G.

Comments

Angela Matteson said…
Wow! Those eyes...those jewel-like eyes, and the wispy hair...just amazing with so much character!
Eugen Caitaz said…
It's very cool work Mark!!! Maybe you can draw for me one caricatures!???
Allan Cavanagh said…
Saw this on Gurney's blog. Awesome piece Mark, really well executed.

Popular Posts